Wednesday, June 13, 2012

WSOP again

I'm here in Vegas during the WSOP and finally have a day off to update this silly excuse for a blog. I should have chronicled all my adventures in my last Europe trip to Vienna, Berlin, Dublin, and Monaco, but SCOOP immediately started when I returned home to Toronto and when I'm at home I want downtime to have very little to do with poker.

The non-poker aspect of the Euro trip was amazing, and despite the poker aspect not being monetarily rewarding, it was a good trip for the development of my game and career. I stayed focused, ate well, worked out, rarely drank, and played my top game in tournaments and cash throughout the entire 5 weeks abroad, including the Party Poker Premier League Playoffs and some 100/200 mixed in Vienna.

After the Grand Finals I went to Aruba for a much needed getaway and met the talented WPT Boot Camp crew. I played a few random days of SCOOP in Toronto after that and was up a bit overall but mainly just went to the gym a ton and pigged out on home-cooking afterwards in preparation for a long summer in the desert. It's now two weeks into the series and I feel like my efforts have already paid off and my chances of a bracelet are still very much alive. I have been playing and going deeper in the mixed events, including a final table in the $1500 Stud8. Coming that close to a bracelet only makes me want to work harder, especially since I made a silly error misreading my hand at the final table! Right before I lost an extra 1bb for misreading that I had a low on 7th in a crucial hand, I was telling my amazing rail how anxious and nervous I was. I have to learn how to function better under pressure. Anyone have any good advice for this? I feel like I can never play my A game when when people are paying attention, which is really depressing because all the money in tournament poker is made at the final table.

I'm staying with the charismatic Maridu at the coveted Panorama Towers. I'm rarely ever here with my long work hours but she keeps me optimistic and rightfully excited for what's to come. In her words, nothing ever phases me. I am, however, looking forward to my dad and my stepmom visiting me in less than two weeks, as well as my best friend and her boyfriend in early July. It will be there first time travelling further than Niagara Falls to watch me play poker! It's been a record-breaking WSOP for women, but there's still plenty of hardware up for grabs so I won't be slowing down any time soon.

4 comments:

  1. Talk to your doctor about possibly taking a low dose of beta-blocker to quell the anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice the Post, I'm brazilian and was watching the PCA Main Event in Pokerstars.tv. You are in my favorit poker players list. A Maridu is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep on grinding, you got this!

    ReplyDelete